The Food Groupie Club

Hi my name is Sarah and I'm addicted to food. I have been a chef professionally for about 12 years now and am currently teaching cooking classes at a culinary school. I seriously love to cook and eat good food. The problem with cooking and eating like the professionals though is that it can be kind of intimidating for a home food enthusiast. My goal is to bring good food into every-day homes. Anyone can make healthy, good quality, good tasting, and good looking food with the right know-how. So here you go....cooking made easy by a professional!

I will be featuring some of my favorite chef's recipes in my posts and will note in the post what book was used. Their books that I use will be listed in my must have cookbooks tab.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Banana Whole-Wheat Bran Muffins/Bread

I think I'm in love with this recipe. I've been playing around with baking with whole wheat flour and have been also trying to sneak wheat bran into certain recipes.  So far most of the biscuit and other quick bread recipes I have tried end up being pretty heavy and sometimes too strongly flavored, especially with bran in the picture. This is the best recipe by far that I have made.  I found a whole wheat banana bread recipe on a blog I follow, then made some adjustments so there are no fats or oils and added bran to it. So not only is this recipe super healthy, its also super amazingly good. Light, fluffy, moist...... can't beat it. Plus, make several batches.... these freeze well. Great breakfast or morning snack!


2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Wheat Bran
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Baking soda

3 Ripe Bananas {mashed}
1/4 cup Plain Non-Fat {preferably organic} Yogurt
1/4 cup Honey
2 Eggs
1/3 cup Applesauce {no sugar added}
1 tsp. Vanilla

1.  Preheat oven to 350

2.  Stir together all the dry ingredients into a large bowl

3.  Add all wet ingredients and stir until just combined.  Do not use an electric mixer or stir too much.  It will make the bread tough and rubbery.

4.  If you are doing muffins, line or spray a muffin pan and fill 2/3 full with batter.  This will make about 1 1/2 dozen muffins.  If you are doing a loaf, spray loaf pan and fill with all of mixture.  This will make 1 regular sized loaf.


5.  For muffins, bake 20-25 minutes. Check doneness with toothpick.  Should insert easily and come out clean.  For full loaf bake 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I've gotta say somethin'!